home > search
engines > advice on improving ranking on Lycos
advice on improving ranking on Lycos
Our spider analyzes your Web pages, it determines
keywords and a description based on an algorithm that examines
components of the title, headings and subheadings, how frequently
words appear, and where they appear, based on full body text.
The spider will not index META tags. This information is extracted
from the website and stored within the Lycos catalog.
tips and advice
- The best way to improve your ranking is to have content.
- Having a relevant title and page description will improve
- Decide two or three terms or phrases on which to focus
your efforts -- the "hot" keywords that
users are most likely to search for. Give those words priority
in your html. Important words should appear more frequently,
in larger headings and closer to the top of the screen if
not actually in the page title. An introductory paragraph
with descriptive text that mentions your "hot"
keywords will help a spider to create a better abstract
of your site.
- Graphical pages are hard to index in the Lycos search,
no matter how cool they may look! The ALT attribute of an
IMG tag will be analyzed and included in your listing, but
we cannot analyze the content of images -- the more text,
and the more content, the better.
- If your site contains frames, make sure you use a <NOFRAMES>
tags. We cannot analyze the content within your frames,
but any body text in the <NOFRAMES> section will be
indexed. This also addresses a portability issue, since
some browsers are not capable of viewing frames.
- Some webmasters build pages that include repetitive or
irrelevant text, also known as spam. Our spider can
identify Web pages that contain spam, "hidden"
text, or other means of such practice, and it will exclude
- To get a general idea of how a spider views your page,
look at your Web page through a text-only browser such as
- Lycos cannot manually influence the search results.
The rankings are solely based on the text we have examined
and the quality of competing sites.
This and further advice from Lycos - http://www.lycos.co.uk/service/addasite.html